Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2011

Advantages of a vertical taskbar!

This is original work of the blogger.

It has been two years since I use a vertical taskbar, and have found numerous advantages of it. People often tell me its hard to work with but I cannot help but point out the vast difference in usability that it makes!

One,
I read a lot of things on my machine, training materials, e-books, blogs, emails and I find the need of vertical space more than that of horizontal space. Less Scrolling.

Two,
I can fit as much as 15 windows on the bar before it gets cramped. And yes, I need so many windows at a time, a email window, 2 chat windows, firefox, a couple of explorers, a couple of remote desktop connections and so on.

Three,
Vertical things are easy to look up and find the necessary object. Hence the human preferences for lists and to do lists (they are vertical and so are most schedules).

Four,
Less eye movement. Your eyes mostly travel on the same level left to right to find the necessary window less up down eye movement, less neck movement.

Five,
The side of the screen is easier to reach with your mouse. Try it to know.

Six,
A small advantage but an important one is that now you can see the time, date and day, instead of just time and date.

It just requires some getting used to. Once you do that it is a fabulous thing! Why do you think Windows 7 has a vertical dock bar and Vista had one too?

1 comment: