Total Pageviews

Monday, August 23, 2010

Growing up with my brother....







I had the opportunity to grow up with a younger brother. It was not easy, it was not a smooth sail but over the years our relationship has

evolved and grown in many ways.

I remember early on I would care for him and cuddle him like he was a teddy bear :) and then play with him all the amusing games that all the

little boys and girls play.

Then we got around to the phase where we would tease each other. He would break my toys and tear up my books and I went crying to mom.

Then as we got older, I wound up protecting him and he ended up shamelessly taking advantage of the fact that I would never hit him. I was his

'mini-mom' when mom was at office and we stayed at home, amusing ourselves and taking care of each other.

There came a time when he would tell on me and I would tell on him at every opportunity we could get. As time passed we reached a sort of

understanding and agreement when he would not tell certain things to my parents and I would return the favor too. What started off as a truce,

eventually developed into an understanding, where we would cover up each others faults in front of others.

There was a time he hated me because I got all the respect and affection and he had to be the object of everyone's ire, the perfect child(or so

people thought) compared to the good for nothing one. And I hated him because no one scolded him enough and he could charm his way into making

my parents agree for anything. But over the years his resentment turned to respect and he started looking up to me. And I understood that the

way to bring about a change in him was not to resent him but support him in what was right and reason out with him on what was wrong. Took me a

while to realize that voice of reason is more convincing than voice of authority. :)

At times I was his playmate, at times his friend, at times his confidante, at times his rival, at times his teacher, at times his advisor....

Now we are both adults and he has become a great friend. Someone who knew me as a child and stood beside me, looking up to me as I changed and

grew. Now he is the one who stands up for me, looks out for me, advices me.... :) There's almost a role reversal, now it feels like having an elder brother. :)

I didn't always appreciate having a younger brother, but as I look back, I chide myself for all the times that I didn't! I love you SidB and its hard to imagine what life would have been without you :)





No comments:

Post a Comment