Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm a year old ...




I'm a year old as a professional today. And if you overlook certain technicalities, I am also a year old at Persistent today. So here's a look at the lessons learnt from the year :)

When I was in school I had decided that I would never ever work in the IT industry. Where was the point, just one more person in the herd of lakhs, instead I thought I would write, bring about a change in the way people think, perceive and act. Make a difference. May be I was young, I was foolish or just may be what we want and what we get are two different things. :)

Gradually I grew into the idea of working in IT but I decided a few more 'never evers'. I would never ever work for Infosys or TCS or one of those giants who just didn't care about the value of a human being!
[Many reasons for that, but let's leave it at that.] I decided not to appear for their aptitudes and interviews. And then came along Persistent! It was the kind of company I wanted to start my career in. Sort of perfect... :) But then came another 'never ever'. I would never ever ever do Software Testing. God! What's the skill in that? Even a Commerce graduate can do it! Every single interview of Persistent [there were three] I insisted, if you are recruiting me just to do Software Testing, please don't, I don't need your job and I won't do it. Well, they sort of agreed to that!

And a very happy me joined Persistent on 26th August 2009. A little excited, a little baffled, spotting some familiar faces and making friends with some new ones! A whole week of hearing awesome things about the company, the work environment, the benefits, a week of signing hundreds of forms!

And then came the blow.... You have to do testing! Why? Because you are an electronics graduate. Even if I have more marks in programming subjects than the computer graduates? Yes, even then. Even if I know more programming languages than them? Yes even then. Even if in a test that you would take between them and me I would do as good as them? Yes, even then. Wow! That was like a huge deceit!! Another experience why you should never say 'never ever'!

Again resigning myself to the thought of working as a QA in an IT industry, I set out to make a mark. Gained knowledge, experience & appreciation. Two reporting managers and three project managers later, apparently [
and here I quote ] "She is too good in testing to waste her talents on development". Well, well! Let's leave it at that, shall we? :)

A year down the lane I have learnt a few things and unlearnt quited a few. :)

One, never say never evers :)

Two, What you think now, is the best for you, might not be the best. You are too short sighted to know what's best for you in the long run. Instead just take what you get and make the best out of it.

Three, Technical knowledge is not everything. Being intelligent is an accessory. Being smart is a necessity. Be smart, learn a few things that you can apply the most. If you know a lot of stuff, doesn't mean you will be the most successful guy around! Instead be useful, be resourceful!

Four, Technical knowledge is everything! Contradiction right? Well! Its ok if you don't have a lot of technical knowledge you can survive and may be even succeeded! But don't get above yourself and think it's not necessary and you will survive on business domain knowledge and expertise! Nobody gives a damn about your domain knowledge if you do not have a basic necessary technical skill set! Appreciate those who have technical knowledge and always try to upgrade yours! It never hurts to learn an additional technical skill!

Five, Being a team player matters. Learn from the team. Share your knowledge, experience with them, benefit from theirs. There are always different kinds of people on a team. Those who work very diligently. Those who don't work but are very careful to show case that they work. Those who don't work and just don't care. Those who get work done from you and pass it off as their own. Those who know and tell. Those who know and don't tell. Those who don't know and admit that they don't know. Those who don't know but will never admit that they don't know. Those who don't like you because you know. Those who appreciate you. Those who don't appreciate you. Those who hate you because others appreciate you. May be you have to handle each one differently, but the bottomline being you've to go along with them and deliver a team effort.

Six, Being an individual on the team matters! Again a contradiction? From the description of kind of team members above you would have got it that it's not always smooth sailing! Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and assert yourself. No, I am not going to do that. No, I'm not going to do that that way. No, I don't agree. Learn to say no, even if it makes you look a little rude and selfish! You deliver deliverables with the team but when it comes to appraisals or rebukes you are all on your own!
Har Roadie Akela hai types!

Seven, Managers have their own agenda and it may or may not always be good for you. To them you are a resource, to you, well, you have a life! To managers you are just a tool to achieve their goals. For which at times they'll flatter you, at times chide you and at times just order you about! It's not always personal to them and you should not always make it personal to you. Think about yourself, let the manager handle the deliverable. All that said and done, there are some very good managers too. I had the opportunity to work with two of the finest!

Eight, Appreciate people for their strengths turn a blind eye to a few weaknesses. Be polite to them, be humble, modest and try to learn from everyone. It will go a long way in building professional relationships.

Nine, you leave teams, projects, jobs, you don't leave friends. Stay in touch. These are wonderful take aways from the place you're leaving. Colleagues come and go. Friends stay. Make friends out of colleagues :)

Ten, money is not everything. At times knowledge takes a precedence, at times opportunity does, at times family does, at times you do! Money is not a goal it is just a means to achieve some goals or simply make the path a little easy. Don't plan your life around money. Plan money around your life!

Eleven, I am too young to hold a discourse on professional life. So stop. And do what you do the best! Get back to work :)


Congratulations to all others who joined with me! We sustained! And we persisted! A year went by in no time at all, thanks to you guys. And I hope another year down the line, no matter how we change professionally, we'll be there for each other as we're today :)Cheers to us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment